It is the mission of the Belle Vernon Cemetery Association to provide a respectful and compassionate eternal resting place for the deceased and to encourage visitation by developing and maintaining our beautiful grounds.
- Our stewardship relates both to our grounds and our record-keeping.
- With the use of technology, we seek to share history with the community.
- We strive to achieve high standards through dedication, respect and vision not only for today but also tomorrow.
The Belle Vernon Cemetery is a not-for-profit perpetual care cemetery governed by a seven member board of directors. All assets are managed for perpetuity.
2016 Directors list
James Hale, President
Samuel Cover, Vice President
Michael Komlos, Secretary
H. Fred Exley
Local civic and business leaders, Denton Lynn, Noah Q. Speer, Noah Speer, James M. Springer, Dr. John Van Vorhis (Author of “The Old and New Monongahela”), Bazil Brightwell and Daniel Springer, foresaw the need for a cemetery to serve the area. Together they purchased seven acres of land from James H. Springer, part of the Springer farm in 1866. This parcel of land included the Springer Family Burial Ground, which anchors the cemetery until this day. This same group of men incorporated the Belle Vernon Cemetery Association in 1867.
The first addition to the original cemetery was in 1912. This purchase included another 10 acres of the Springer farm. In 1936, another addition was made — this time a purchase of 23 acres from the Allen Family. However, the development of this area was not immediate. Sections were opened in the 40’s, 50’s, 60’s and the late 80’s. The addition of 3 mausoleums brings the cemetery to how it looks today.
Charles Lambert was hired in 1916 as the first superintendent. Previously, the board appointed people do the work that needed to be done. Mr. Lambert ran the cemetery until his death in 1951. David P. Scholl, Charles Lambert’s son-in-law, took over until his death in 1998. Scholl’s son, David L. Scholl, ran the cemetery until his retirement in 2012. Thomas Hewitt, a long-time employee, took over upon Mr. Scholl’s retirement and is the current caretaker. The Belle Vernon Cemetery Association is still governed by a seven member board of directors. The oldest readable memorial in the cemetery is that of Rachel Springer, who died in 1836.